Finding the right tools for your small business can be tough! Dusty and I have come across some great resources as we build our business. Welcome to our toolbox! This is a list of tools that have made our lives as makers and designers a whole lot easier! Consider us your encouraging wingwoman/wingman as you break into the freelance dance. We will be constantly updating as we find new things, so check back soon!
(Are we missing the best thing ever? Have a suggestion? Leave a comment below!)
- What Font Is for when you're wondering, "What font is that?"
- A list of Stock Photos that Don't Suck
- Pinterest for collaborating with clients.
- Adobe Creative Cloud for everything, because you kinda have to these days.
- Canva for when you don't want to use Adobe.
- Mailchimp for intelligent email marketing and easy to design newsletters.
Websites + Portfolios
- Squarespace for building something beautiful.
- Squarespace Template Comparison Chart for when you want to build something beautiful, but you're not sure what it should look like.
Writing and Blogging
- Hemingway Editor for keeping your writing clear and kicking passive voice to the curb. Unless, that's your thing.
- Headline Analyzer for writing better, clickable headlines.
- Buffer for scheduling out social posts easily.
- Latergramme for scheduled reminders for Instagram posts.
- This Editorial Calendar template for Makers.
- Trello for managing a small to medium workload.
- Asana for when you have a large or heavy workflow.
- Google Calendar for giving yourself time to work and time to not.
- Etsy for small batch makers looking to be part of a community.
- Squarespace for when you need simple, beautiful ecommerce.
- Shopify for when you need both POS and ecommerce. They get a high five for allowing you to sell on Facebook and Pinterest too!
Accounting + Money Management
- Freshbooks for time tracking, invoicing and accounting all in one.
- Tax Jar for painless sales tax reporting & filing for online retailers.
Emotional Support and Avoiding Burn Out
So what do you think?! Were you using any of these? Do you know of better versions?